Hi and need advice

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
Ian T
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 350 Red - Fastest

Hi and need advice

Post by Ian T »

Hi everyone

Ian here, just decided to buy a maxi scooter and need some guidance please.

Just moved house and managed to nearly chop my left thumb off, all sewn back on and tendons nearly work ok but it has triggered arthritis in my thumb joint so long story short, left hand pretty well buggered so bikes gotta go as I can’t operate the clutch anymore.

Not wanting to give up riding I’ve decided on a maxi scooter and must admit they look pretty fantastic, but too much choice for a simpleton like me. I’ve mostly been a Guzzi or Honda chap and as Guzzi don’t make em that has narrowed it down a lot. But alas Mr Google and YouTube has confused me again.

Everyone I know has said get a Burgman but researching now there seems to be just as good alternatives.

I think I have narrowed it down to the Burgman 400, the Honda Forza (I think the ADV is the same but slightly altered), the Yamaha X Max and the T Max.

Usage wise it will be for pootling around shopping etc, the occasional journey of about 150 - 200 miles visiting and if my thumb holds up I would love another jaunty around France or Spain, but that would be a one off so touring not the main driver but capable if needed but not two up she hates bikes.

The above bikes all look good to me and all capable, I suppose the only unknown is which would be happy on a motorway at 70 I presume all but I just don’t know and can’t seem to find sensible answers.

So I would really welcome some of your experiences and recommendations, as to which you recommended.

Wife happy, and I don’t have to worry wether it new or used as sale of my bikes will fund it, who ever thought chopping me thumb would lead to a statement like that eh.

Sorry for such a long first post but any guidance will be wonderful.

Kindest regards

Ian

Deleted User 18472

Re: Hi and need advice

Post by Deleted User 18472 »

Hello & Welcome 👋

Argyll
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH300i

Post by Argyll »

I'd just get the Forza, the 300 or the 350. Great scoot, especially that electric screen.

And welcome along :D

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Essentially you'd be happy with any of those scooters for the purposes intended.

You may also wonder if you should have bought one of the others.

Well, that's how it works for me. 8-)

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

Just a thought, instead of the clutch, the left hand lever works the (linked) brakes! The SH seems to make you sit up straight more to my mind, where the others allow a more feet forward position if wanted.
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Speaking from first-hand experience (no pun intended) I can vouch for the controllability of the Forza 350 by someone with arthritic hands - mine.
I have Grip-Puppies in place; they do help me although they are not to everyone's taste.
I have little doubt that most scooters will be as user-friendly.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Ian T
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 350 Red - Fastest

Post by Ian T »

Thanks everyone

It does look like the forza is coming to the fore slightly lower seat as well which is a good thing given I’m 5’ 8” at a stretch.

Left hand good enough for the brake, I think but won’t take constant clutching or pressure on the wrist like you get leaning forward.

Think I’ll try and get a test ride, as long as I can pootle round town but keep a steady 70-80 on motorway when needed it should be grand.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts very helpful.

Cheers

Ian

Simbo
Current Ride: Xmax 300 R1250GS

Post by Simbo »

Hi and welcome. I've just got an Xmax 300 which I can highly recommend, I bought it to do my weekly 200 mile commute to work and back and then about 100 mile per week just nipping here and there. Its very economical and practical for it's intended purpose for me and replaces the R1200RT which I used before very well, it always puts a smile on my Face :-).. However, I also ride an R1250GS for Sunday fun and touring on and think if I was replacing that bike I'd have gone for the Tmax instead. Good luck in finding your prefect scooter 👍

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

My Forza 350 will cruise happily at indicated 75 and now it's run in will go up to indicated 85 - haven't checked true speeds with GPS yet. Engine certainly feels meatier than the XMax 300 I had. Around 85 mpg against the XMax's 95.
Be prepared for a harsh ride on bad road surfaces compared to a mcycle. On smooth roads, steering and handling are excellent on the Forza.
Huge 'boot' is a bonus of course!
Forza has a main beam headlight, if you will ride in the dark - XMax's is appalling.
Good luck!
Oh and seat height is not a good indication of ease of reaching the ground - the width of the footboards means tiptoes is normal - do try before buying...
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

welcome, Forza+ grip puppies, sorted. :P
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.