650 tyre wear

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

650 tyre wear

Post by knight2 »

Both tyres on mine were replaced about 7500 miles ago and I had noticed the back was getting near the end of it's useful life, I hadn't bothered to check the front until I got it out of the garage this afternoon and I think the front is going to need replacing first, which seems a bit odd. I'm very keen on checking the tyre pressures so it's been run at the recommended pressure, maybe my riding style or lack of it!. I'm going to have a good look at them both tomorrow so I'll know more. I thought 7500 miles wasn't very good until I read through some old posts on here, now it doesn't seem to bad.
Be interested to know what miles others are getting on what tyres.
Had a better look this morning and it's fitted with pilot 4's and the front is knackered. Had a browse through Burgmanusa at dinner time and this seems to be the norm, the front wears quicker and the mileage seems to be reasonable. So I will see about replacing it next week. :roll:

Maxi Burger
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400 2022

Re: 650 tyre wear

Post by Maxi Burger »

That really doesn't make much sense, the front wearing quicker than the driving wheel.
Can I ask what is your driving style? Are yours know for having a softer compound?

Since running in my 400 I'm much quicker on mine now but on my last ride I was conscious of how little I use the brakes, reading the road ahead more and using the engine to slow down. I'd be horrified if my tyres only lasted 7500 miles, that's expensive motoring!

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Re: 650 tyre wear

Post by knight2 »

New pilot 4 fitted at a cost of £121, did it while I waited and were very quick. Hawleys tyres, Hillsborough, Sheffield.

Maxi Burger, It may be my riding style I don't hang about but I'm no boy racer either, never been hard on front tyres on a motorbike. I wondered if it may be something the 650 suffered with being a heavy old lump and a small tyre. I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that a cvt drive might be easier on the rear tyre than dumping the clutch, so the rear might not wear so quick. Doesn't have all the weight dumped on it when braking either. I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to scooters which is why I'm asking for advice.
I was hoping some other 650 riders might comment about it but it doesn't look likely.
Thanks for the post by the way.