Metropolis

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Metropolis

Post by MrGrumpy »

Stopped at a Garden Centre today (for the cafe) and when I got back to the Tmax I was surprised to see a brand new Peugeot Metropolis 400 parked next to it! Interesting contrast - the Metropolis seems so much more compact! Obvious the Tmax is stretch-limo long, and mine has a topbox which lengthens it even more, but the Metropolis seemed very short in comparison. More surprisingly, the Tmax towered over the Metropolis height-wise. You definitely sit much lower down in the Metropolis (with a quite small windscreen) compared to the lofty heights of the Tmax with a much taller screen. Accomdation wise I noted that on the plus side the Metropolis has a completely flat floor, which is good, but there is no possibility of a feet forward riding position - in fact it looked quite cramped with limited space for you feet, especially as the right foot space has a brake pedal in the middle of it. Overall, the build & design quality of the Pug l(superficially) ooked quite good, especiallly for something Chinese built, but lacked the last little touches that the Japanese can do.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: Metropolis

Post by StephenC »

I think the foot space in all the 3 wheelers is much the same.

BTW, the Metropolis isn't Chinese built, but in France at Mandeure. (I still have no time for it though)
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

I love the way that these 3 wheelers corner, but could never own one because of exactly that reason - nowhere to stretch the legs.
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

StephenC wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:26 pm
BTW, the Metropolis isn't Chinese built, but in France at Mandeure. (I still have no time for it though)
I did wonder about that, but only after I'd posted! The controls were somewhat reminiscent of Kymco's I've seen, so I assumed it was Chinese built. Peugeot are actually owned by Bajaj aren't they? (I can't keep up) - so I guess that some Peugeot scoots might be made in India. I recall that Peugeot are proudly claiming that their XP400 is made in France, presumably using many similar parts to the Metropolis.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Peugeot scooters are owned by Mahindra. They are investing heavily in the brand.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Data wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:56 am Peugeot scooters are owned by Mahindra. They are investing heavily in the brand.
Yup. Hopefully bodes well - the XP400 is a sensible start to a revival, I think.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

Out of all the three wheelers I much prefer the look of the Metropolis. When I was looking for a scooter I sat on an MP3 and a Metropolis and the foot brake on the Peugeot seemed less intrusive than the Piaggio, with the floor being flat it seems to be more central and it's smaller, if I remember correctly. They also come in some nice colours and like this one
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-detai ... n=at_bikes
with a big screen depending which model you get. I must admit this one I find very tempting but I'd have to sell the Burgman which I'm loathe to do. One of the things that puts me off is there may be some exspensive servicing to that complicated front end.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

knight2 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:26 am One of the things that puts me off is there may be some expensive servicing to that complicated front end.
The Piaggio MP3 front suspension design was compromised by some design weaknesses such as inability to easily grease the kingpin bearings and the geometrically compromised steering drop arm design. The problems were then compounded by overtightening of the taper roller bearings when assembled at the factory ( "the notch problem" ). The Metropolis has a different design and I don't know whether it has any similar issues but being slightly later they may have benefitted from Piaggio's mistakes. I had two MP3s and enjoyed riding them for nearly six years. If I were to consider another three wheeler a reverse gear would now be essential because I'm no longer strong enough to push their heavy dead weight uphill.

Some 7 years ago I speculated about the Peugeot design on Modern Vespa but didn't really get to the bottom of how it worked:-
https://modernvespa.com/forum/topic146767
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

The MP3 now has a reverse gear along with its new 530cc motor. I've just come back from my local Piaggio dealer who was keen for me to take one out for a test ride. Unfortunately I didn't have time today. But I will no doubt go back and take one out soon.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Data wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:18 pm The MP3 now has a reverse gear along with its new 530cc motor. I've just come back from my local Piaggio dealer who was keen for me to take one out for a test ride. Unfortunately I didn't have time today. But I will no doubt go back and take one out soon.
I didn't realize how much has changed and until I saw the price I was briefly tempted. If I can find a showroom I might just look in and grovel around to see how the front end design has changed.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...