Freedom Storm

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Dai_Hatsu
Current Ride: Lexmoto Pegasus 300

Re: Freedom Storm

Post by Dai_Hatsu »

Spotted this just before signing up.

Looks like the Freedom Storm 300 is badged as the Lexmoto Pegasus 300 in the UK (I've just bought one). Which means it's a Wottan Storm S300 and also a Taro Explorer TR300T. (The key and footboard rubbers are all badged Taro on mine).

Iv'e done a few hundred miles on mine since buying it - whilst missing some of the toys of the latest Japanese bikes, it's a comfortable scoot that will hold 70-80mph on motorway trips.

A new one is the same price as a 4 year old Forza, and my 18 month old example with just 1400 miles on it was under £2k.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Interesting. The Pegasus (and other Lexmoto scoots) are getting pretty good reviews that I've seen. The question is therefore about longevity and long term spares availability. I've heard that although there are relatively cheap to buy, resale values fall off a cliff.....

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

The Storm S300 has been sold in in Europe & was available in Italy & Spain also Germany & France. But that was near a couple of years ago. Not sure how successful they are or were. It was branded slightly different names too in some countries (Wotton Storm as mentioned above) but the bike were all the same. Again, the quality of these bikes is pretty good by all accounts.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

MrGrumpy wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:29 am Interesting. The Pegasus (and other Lexmoto scoots) are getting pretty good reviews that I've seen. The question is therefore about longevity and long term spares availability. I've heard that although there are relatively cheap to buy, resale values fall off a cliff.....
Resale value might be an issue for a Tmax, but when you look at the initial price of this - not so much!
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

Dai_Hatsu wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:59 pm Spotted this just before signing up.

Looks like the Freedom Storm 300 is badged as the Lexmoto Pegasus 300 in the UK (I've just bought not). Which means it's a Wottan Storm S300 and also a Taro Explorer TR300T. (The key and footboard rubbers are all badged Taro on mine).

Iv'e done a few hundred miles on mine since buying it - whilst missing some of the toys of the latest Japanese bikes, it's a comfortable scoot that will hold 70-80mph on motorway trips.

A new one is the same price as a 4 year old Forza, and my 18 month old example with just 1400 miles on it was under £2k.
Thanks for that, Lexmoto I did know of but thought they were just 125's or less ,I'll have to keep an eye out to see if I can see one. Since reading your post I've read a couple of reviews and they get a really good write up. In the photos I've seen they do look nice.
BTW Welcome to the forum.
MrGrumpy wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:29 am Interesting. The Pegasus (and other Lexmoto scoots) are getting pretty good reviews that I've seen. The question is therefore about longevity and long term spares availability. I've heard that although there are relatively cheap to buy, resale values fall off a cliff.....
To be fair it's not a very high cliff

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Dai_Hatsu wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:59 pm Spotted this just before signing up.

Looks like the Freedom Storm 300 is badged as the Lexmoto Pegasus 300 in the UK (I've just bought one). Which means it's a Wottan Storm S300 and also a Taro Explorer TR300T. (The key and footboard rubbers are all badged Taro on mine).

Absolutely correct. Lexmoto's current range also includes the Apollo 125, badged as the Storm 150 by Freedom Scooters in the USA. (The Lexmoto gets a sleeved down motor and different wheels.)

8-)

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

capitano wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:54 am Absolutely correct. Lexmoto's current range also includes the Apollo 125, badged as the Storm 150 by Freedom Scooters in the USA. (The Lexmoto gets a sleeved down motor and different wheels.)

8-)

Hmm, is it? I suppose it is probably a noticeable bit of a difference in capacity so it's probably right, but I remember when Peugeot sold the Elystar 150 which in much of Europe was 149.9cc except for Italy where (so it could be ridden on the motorway) it was 150.1cc. ;)

capitano
Admin

Post by capitano »

StephenC wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:29 am
capitano wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:54 am Absolutely correct. Lexmoto's current range also includes the Apollo 125, badged as the Storm 150 by Freedom Scooters in the USA. (The Lexmoto gets a sleeved down motor and different wheels.)

8-)

Hmm, is it? I suppose it is probably a noticeable bit of a difference in capacity so it's probably right, but I remember when Peugeot sold the Elystar 150 which in much of Europe was 149.9cc except for Italy where (so it could be ridden on the motorway) it was 150.1cc. ;)
I share your cynicism .. However ... bizarrely, it's even more than a simple sleeve down.

The USA Freedom 150 Storm has a 14 bhp water cooled motor, while the Lexmoto has an 8.6 bhp air cooled motor! :shock:

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

So one is what I'd call "Full Fat" the other "Skimmed". Quite the difference.

capitano
Admin

Post by capitano »

StephenC wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:27 am So one is what I'd call "Full Fat" the other "Skimmed". Quite the difference.
Certainly, though which was created first, and spawned the other, I don't know.

My guess is that it was created as a water cooled 150 for non-UK markets, then someone saw the potential in sticking a euro 5 compliant GY6 125 motor in it, to sell it in the UK.

The Neco Alexone is near identical to the Lexmoto Apollo. Neither have a particularly bad reputation, though neither are particularly big sellers, either.