Is Waze the only navigation app which knows which roads are open to motorcycles but closed to cars?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
YetAnotherMuppet
Current Ride: x-max

Is Waze the only navigation app which knows which roads are open to motorcycles but closed to cars?

Post by YetAnotherMuppet »

I don't know elsewhere, but in London there are a few crucial roads which are open to motorcycles but closed to cars. I don't mean just bus lanes with another lane for cars next to them, but roads like London bridge, which is closed to cars but open to motorcycles for most of the day.

My experience is that, with Waze, you can tell the app if you are riding a motorcycle or driving a car, and it will plan accordingly: for example it will tell a motorcyclist to go on London Bridge but avoid Bank Junction (closed to both motorcycles and cars), and it well a car driver to avoid both.

TomTom is useless: after many years the restriction has been in place, it still doesn't know that Bank Junction is closed. I'm not even sure their software can distinguish between cars and motorcycles, or that it can distinguish that certain road closures only apply at certain times.

Google Maps supposedly has a motorcycle option (official help: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/11473680?hl=en ) but the official help page doesn't say where, and I have never seen it in London. Also, from the docs it seems the option is meant to redirect motorcycles away from roads open to cars but closed to motorcycles, not the other way round.

What is your experience?

Have you found better navigation apps that know about these different restrictions?

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: Is Waze the only navigation app which knows which roads are open to motorcycles but closed to cars?

Post by StephenC »

Copilot is a paid for app which doesn't need data for the maps once downloaded (very useful abroad) but traffic is extra. It does have a good motorcycle routing option though.

Saying that, it reckons London Bridge is open to both types of vehicle so that's not great!
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

YetAnotherMuppet
Current Ride: x-max

Re: Is Waze the only navigation app which knows which roads are open to motorcycles but closed to cars?

Post by YetAnotherMuppet »

By "motorcycle routing options", do you mean options to find twisty roads for country rides etc?

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

I'm not actually sure. It just offers a separate routing option for motorcycles and it usually differs from what is said for cars
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I started using Waze in the car set to Motorcycle, thanks for the info.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i