Vespa GTSS 300: Givi topbox + ulocks through the rear wheel

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
YetAnotherMuppet
Current Ride: x-max

Vespa GTSS 300: Givi topbox + ulocks through the rear wheel

Post by YetAnotherMuppet »

Hi all, I might be considering a Vespa GTS 300 and have two questions:

1) can you fit a Givi or Shad topbox? I believe I had read somewhere that it's possible but the load capacity is much less than on most scooters, but I can't find any details

2) can you fit any ulock or chain through the rear wheel? or only through the front one? I'd probably use something like a Hiplock D1000 or Litelok X3, which are quite tough.

I had made a post about my search for a scooter here: viewtopic.php?t=25467

I want to enquire specifically about these two things about Vespas, because what I like is that the Vespa GTS 300 is possibly the most compact 300 scooter I know of, so it would have a bit more acceleration and would allow me the occasional ride on a dual carriageway (I know 125cc go on the motorway, but I am no big fan of that) while still remaining compact and allowing me great filtering through cars.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: Vespa GTSS 300: Givi topbox + ulocks through the rear wheel

Post by capitano »

Good queestions!

I'm surprised that these questions haven't been asked and answered already. 8-)

Maybe they have, but I'm sure that Data is on his way to enlighten us, very very soon.

:)

YetAnotherMuppet
Current Ride: x-max

Post by YetAnotherMuppet »

Someone just brought this thread to my attention (which hadn't come up in hours of googling): https://modernvespa.com/forum/topic186485#2648365
basically the Litelok x3 fits through the rear wheel if you remove the rubber coating, while the smaller x1 fits through the front wheel as it is.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

I was going to recommend you go to the Modern Vespa site for more info. I just use a fairly hefty chain & padlock if I ever have to park in town or leave it anywhere for any length of time. I also like to leave it where ever possible under the gaze of council or other CCTV.

Regarding the rear boxes, I'm afraid I can't help there either as I use the Vespa leather top case that came with my bike. I have no need for anything more. I see no reason why you couldn't use other box systems on the GTS though. Unless going on longer faster runs I wear an open face Caberg helmet which easily goes under the seat. Can't get my full face under there but that's not an issue for me. Good luck with your search though & do get a test ride. They go really well & are pretty much the king in city traffic but they do the motorways really well too!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I have a Givi Monolock top box fitted to the rear rack using the standardGivi base plate. It sits lower than a normal top box on a motorcycle which is a good thing if you wear a hi-vis.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i