Riding in Winter

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Riding in Winter

Post by Sylar »

This weekend i topped 60,000km on my Cruisym300, that i bought new in 2018. On Tuesday i Put a new Variator with new rollers and faceplate on. I fitted a new belt and cleaned and deglazed the clutch ( thanks to the You tube Video, i watched several times). I did the rest of the service also. Today, Wednesday, i had my weekly trip to Southport. I park at the Carousel, today only me there,in summer you struggle to find a parking spot. What a great day to be out, lovely sunshine cold but great for riding in my opinion. My best rides are this time of year I have my heated vest and heated handlebar grips so iam reasonably warm. When i got home i dropped the oil ,ready for oil change tomorrow, just that and the final drive oil change and all done. I take the Forza out once a week for a twenty mile runaround.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Riding in Winter

Post by MrGrumpy »

Its a pain in the a*** round here at the moment. Its a bad time of year - its been so wet the roads are covered in mud from tractors etc, there's tons of leaf pulp in places, its been barely above 0C for a couple of days, and this morning there's a thin layer of snow! So not using either scoot until things get a bit better!

knight2
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by knight2 »

I had been keeping an eye on the weather forecast as I had spent Sunday washing and polishing the burgman and I didn't want to take it out in weather that was too mucky. Tuesday looked good so I took it out for a ride in the afternoon,the roads had mostly dried out and it was sunny but cold. I had a very enjoyable ride popped into CMC at Clay Cross as they usually have a few scooters in, then carried on South to Alfreton across to Matlock turned North to ride through the Chatsworth estate,got held up by a large flock of confused 🐑 carried on through Baslow over the moors and back to Sheffield. The burgman now needs a wash. There is a light covering of snow this morning so I picked the right day for a change :D

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I seem to spend as much time washing the wretched things as riding them these days!

velocipede6295
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by velocipede6295 »

You are made of sterner stuff than me. I decided to leave the Forza in the garage in mid Nov, after a very cold 90 mins ride, when I started to lose concentration due to the cold, despite being very well wrapped up. I recently did the Forza's 8,000 mile service, and then had it Mot'd, so it is ready for when the temperature reaches my cut off point of 10-12 deg centigrade, probably Spring time - I'm a fair weather rider these days. I normally ride March - Nov, but do go out on the bike in the winter months, if we get a mild (ish) day.
I saw a white scooter ( possibly a Sym ) heading South on M6 in the general Preston area for quite a while behind / in front of me, a couple of Saturdays back, I was in the car, then saw it in the Bradshaw area, a bit later - it wasn't you was it, Sylar?
We seem to ride to similar places, so I may bump into you sometime on our travels. Enjoy your Winter rides, I will wait for a bit milder weather.

Sylar
Current Ride: Forza 350-Cruisym300i

Post by Sylar »

No, not me i seldom use Motorways, i prefer back country lanes. Usually get to Glasson dock on Sundays, sometimes i go to Knott end for a change. I met up with a Forza rider a couple of weeks ago at Glasson, we are of a similar age,and shared memories of all the Bikes we had in the past. He was there again last Sunday and we had a nice chat. He comes from Fleetwood i think. I pointed out to him, that i had fitted a rear mudguard to my Forza, and showed him the fitting points. he now has one on his bike. I completed my oil changes today so all systems go again.

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

I love to ride all year round, especially in winter. My daily commute is only 20 minutes each way by bike, or 40 minutes if sat in a car.

The cold and wet never bothers me as I wear good winter clothing and have fitted a "Termoscud" blanket to keep the elements off and use handlebar muffs, heated grips and a heated seat on the Tmax. I might look like a twat but at least I'm warm and dry, and not sat in a queue of traffic going nowhere fast.

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Pukmeister wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:55 am I love to ride all year round, especially in winter. My daily commute is only 20 minutes each way by bike, or 40 minutes if sat in a car.

The cold and wet never bothers me as I wear good winter clothing and have fitted a "Termoscud" blanket to keep the elements off and use handlebar muffs, heated grips and a heated seat on the Tmax. I might look like a twat but at least I'm warm and dry, and not sat in a queue of traffic going nowhere fast.
... and to be fair we live on the southern most tip of England where it almost never snows or freezes. I hope I haven't jinxed that!
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Pukmeister wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:55 am I love to ride all year round, especially in winter. My daily commute is only 20 minutes each way by bike, or 40 minutes if sat in a car.

I'm sure you don't look like a twat. More like a serious motorcyclist...& that stuff you have let's you go anywhere in pretty good comfort. Good on yer!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

He might look like a muppet. (a Maxi one).
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125