T max

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Re: T max

Post by Pukmeister »

I ride a 2019 BMW R1250GSA and a 2011 Mk3 Tmax. I commute 25 miles a day on the scooter and run errands on it, for which it is exceptional. To be honest I hardly ever take the GSA out for a run, just its annual overseas bike tour. I do all my own work on the Tmax as its mechanically basic enough and consumable parts can be bought cheaply enough, it just has the hassle of loads of plastic panels to remove. Its approaching 50k on the odometer and still goes like stink and uses no oil betwen services (nikasil coated bores).

My Tmax is adapted by me for winter riding with Oxford heated grips, a Heated seat pad, Shad handlebar muffs and a Tucano Urbano "Termoscud" weather blanket...... Even the worst of the winter weather doesn't bother me.

As already stated, for some reason the Tmax can wear out a front tyre faster than the rear. My preferred tyre of choice is the Michelin Pilot Road Scooter for confidence and grip in all weathers and decent wear, similar to the old PR4. YMMV.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

On my 7th T Max or so . Love them . Now have the 560 Tech Max 23 plate and its great . I get 6000 miles from the tyres . Big service at 12000 miles is expensive at about £800 but that may include tyres . This new one is the best of the lot , though I liked the Mk 4 a lot . As above not cheap to run but pretty reliable as they have evolved over 20 odd years . I has a BMW Evo for 4 years and sold that to go back to a T Max as I missed it . good luck on your Quest !!
I would say it is not a replacement for a 1250 GS . I have a GSA as well and a recent tour of the Dolomites showed what a great bike it is . The T Max can do everything else , and could do a big tour albeit without the ranger and extreme comfort

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

Just repaired the genuine Akrapovic Titanium end can on my Tmax, after a colleague at work parked too close to me in December with his lowered suspension Honda (bike too upright when parked).

His bike blew over in the wind onto my Tmax and his mirror stem whacked my Akra and put a large crease through it.

After a heated argument and much denial claiming it is an "act of nature", he finally agreed to cough up. Then he saw the can alone was £533/Full System was £1200 and had a fit, suggesting I accept a knock-off Akra copy from Wish (that didn't go down well with me as you can imagine).

I agreed to attempt a repair rather than replacement, drilled out the rivets and disassembled the can and gave its titanium sleeve to a local paintless dent repair man. £100 and 3 hours later it was looking like new again. Just sorting new stainless pop rivets at work and the job should be a good 'un, saving both of us from insurance hassles (or a bare knuckled punch up, which I can guarantee I would win).

Due to all the salt on the roads I've kept my R1250GSA chained up in the Garage and been driving to work in my T5 camper but God its so boring compared to riding, will be glad to get back on the scooter ASAP.

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

I have a 560 Tech max and a GSA 1250 . The T Max gets used the most unless touring in Europe , though the T max could do it . Tyres last 4-5000 miles . Big service at 12000 miles includes new belt and can be £800 . 52 mpg so not bad . The Newer 560 is fab but needs more TLC than the older bikes as pain on the stand is poor and underneath can look horrible after a winter . Easy to look after though and a big lock is needed if parking up in town . I have had them since the Mk 1 in 2002 and love them . Your commute would be easy