Fuel Tank Lining - Any Recommendations?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
kav
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Helix

Fuel Tank Lining - Any Recommendations?

Post by kav »

Slowly putting my helix back together. Petrol tank is rusty inside and needs lining but the steel outlet tube from the tank may aso need replacing as I can't blow it through.

Any recommendations on who to go to for this? I am am South London but can courier it anywhere.

I am thinking maybe seperate the two jobs; first someone to cut/weld in a new pipe and then someone to line and paint the tank.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Billy

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Re: Fuel Tank Lining - Any Recommendations?

Post by Greyerbeard »

Try making contact with your local VMCC group - someone will know!
1964 Matchless G3
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

I vaguely recall one of Henry Cole's restorations where a concoction of molasses and metal objects was used to clean out a tank and there are also some expensive kits which do the job in multiple steps which you will probably be able to find on youtube too.

I am wary of internal plasticised or rubber coatings because I had a newish custom alloy tank which had been treated, presumably because it was slightly porous, and bits of the coating constantly got in to the carburettor and blocked the jets or caused flooding.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

There are various coatings you can use in a fuel tank and some interesting videos on YouTube about this very thing. Just do a search. In all honesty, I can say some of them are somewhat dubious to say the least and I've never ever had any success with them in my bike restoration days. They seem to work ok to start with but our fuel in this country seems to break them down quite quickly. So be wary...you don't want engine damage!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Dogsbody
Current Ride: Burgman 400 Honda C125 400-4

Post by Dogsbody »

Caswell is what I have used on several tanks. Works on fibreglass tanks as well.

Pukmeister
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2011 Tmax + 2019 R1250GSA

Post by Pukmeister »

I've heard of people using POR15 to line fuel tanks, but have never tried it myself so can't comment on the pro's/con's.

Scootles
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS 300

Post by Scootles »

I used Caswell on a steel tank (BSA B31) a year or so before Covid. It still seems sound. I was lucky enough to do it during a hot spell so I could keep everything warm while working outside. I recall that Caswell had preferred temperatures for the process - can't remember numbers but they weren't silly high. Just difficult to achieve
in a cold winter garage.
Obviously needs a bit of care - not the nicest chemicals you ever came across!

kav
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Helix

Post by kav »

Thank you for the replies. Really don’t want to do a DIY as from what I’ve seen a lot of restorations seems to have to remove previous lining attempts. I was quoted £600 which seemed extremely higher but now have someone quoting £280+VAT which is more reasonable. They cut the tank open to blast inside so hopefully this clears the fuel pipe. Renu seems the coating of choice not sure how they will ensure coating does not block pick up as it’s not the normal petlock scenario.