Forum Broke Over Night 10/02/24

Read the rules & latest site announcements or suggest an idea for the forums
Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Forum Broke Over Night 10/02/24

Post by Funkycowie »

Hi,

After the troubles of a few weeks ago where the server was being overloaded and spending hours getting that fixed I woke up this morning to find the below errors coming up so have spent 3 hours trawling for answers, trying many things, then spotted in one forum some weird looking posts that were by a guest user that once deleted all the errors went away. These were not malicious but infact old posts that had lost their ids when they were originally deleted and messed things up. I had stripped the forum down to a vanilla board and now need to spend another hour or two rebuilding it back to where it was.

I have also been investigating email issues where potential users do not recieve activation responses. I have tested the emails going out, they function as intended however gmail and hotmail bounce them back seeing the emails as SPAM. This may be why we havent been getting many people joining up and posting as only non generic email addresses get through. I am trying to figure out how to get gmail and hotmail to accept the emails from this server or if we can do something to help people join. So if any of you have any ideas I would be completely open to them.

Regards
FC

ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Funkycowie
Admin

Re: Forum Broke Over Night 10/02/24

Post by Funkycowie »

To potentially solve the email issue I have changed the activation settings to 'No activiation, (immediate access)' if we get too many spammers I will change it to 'Admin Authorization' which will mean mods or admins have to authorize. This will do for now I guess until I can solve, if I can, authentication by email.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

Keep up the good work FC. If you want to test another gmail account you're welcome to use mine as in my profile. Its an account I tend to check only once per day but I can do it more often if it helps.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Funkycowie wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:04 am To potentially solve the email issue I have changed the activation settings to 'No activiation, (immediate access)' if we get too many spammers I will change it to 'Admin Authorization' which will mean mods or admins have to authorize. This will do for now I guess until I can solve, if I can, authentication by email.
My suggestion would be along these lines.

ie we dispense with email activation and have new members' first posts authorised by Admin.

The first-post-authorised control is definitely possible in phpBB because we do that in c90club.

Funkycowie
Admin

Post by Funkycowie »

capitano wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:53 am
Funkycowie wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:04 am To potentially solve the email issue I have changed the activation settings to 'No activiation, (immediate access)' if we get too many spammers I will change it to 'Admin Authorization' which will mean mods or admins have to authorize. This will do for now I guess until I can solve, if I can, authentication by email.
My suggestion would be along these lines.

ie we dispense with email activation and have new members' first posts authorised by Admin.

The first-post-authorised control is definitely possible in phpBB because we do that in c90club.
I'll see how it goes and then move to that if we get too many spammers.
ImageImageImageImage