Returning to the fold? (Maybe) Honda 350i range?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Bingo
Current Ride: BV 350 Honda Vision 110

Re: Returning to the fold? (Maybe) Honda 350i range?

Post by Bingo »

Mister Paul wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:19 am
Bingo wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:50 pm Thanks for the replies. Im still undecided. I had two rides out on the Vstrom on Sunday. The first I was thinking get rid but I kind of recovered a bit of my mojo on the second. I think its only a matter of time though. I reckon all I can do is get down to Padgetts or anywhere that has all three as a demo (that could be tricky to find) and try them. Watched plenty of videos. I like the SH being a step through like my vision but Im not so keen on the lack of weather protection (screen) and that big Honda Screen looks dreadful. The screen on the Forza looks amazing thought but its bigger and heavier. Same goes for the ADV I guess.

I wonder if there is a smaller screen for the SH. Im going to guess that the SH will be a tad quicker than the other two being lighter and maybe easier to chuck about?
I've had a 390 Forza, sh300, adv350 and I'm currently on an sh350i.

Comfort wise believe it or not I've found the sh's the best. I tripped to France on the sh300 and had no comfort issues. The ADV is great but protection isn't good.

For the sh350i I got the Honda screen as the brackets come with it. Barn door, but absolute coverage. Givi do a screen which goes onto the Honda brackets which I have and is great but not enough for the winter. So I cut down the Honda tall screen by 45mm and no I can see over it easily but the wind goes over my head so visor-up motorway speeds is possible.

In terms of handling the sh is the most motorcycle-like. Really fun.
Interesting thanks. How did you find the power delivery on them all? With the SH being the lightest does it feel the quickest?

I will go and try one at some point in the Spring probably but Im a little torn now as I had a good proper ride out on the Vstrom yesterday and I kind of remembered why I fell in love with it. Its a storming bike. Then I remembered what I hated about it when I came to clean it. :x

It might be a case of try the scooters and keep the Strom as long as possible until it gets too much. Ideally I would like three bikes in my garage. The Vstrom, a big Honda Scoot and the little Vision 110 I also have. No room and the chancellor wont like it.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Bingo wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:50 pm Thanks for the replies. Im still undecided. I had two rides out on the Vstrom on Sunday. The first I was thinking get rid but I kind of recovered a bit of my mojo on the second. I think its only a matter of time though. I reckon all I can do is get down to Padgetts or anywhere that has all three as a demo (that could be tricky to find) and try them. Watched plenty of videos. I like the SH being a step through like my vision but Im not so keen on the lack of weather protection (screen) and that big Honda Screen looks dreadful. The screen on the Forza looks amazing thought but its bigger and heavier. Same goes for the ADV I guess.

I wonder if there is a smaller screen for the SH. Im going to guess that the SH will be a tad quicker than the other two being lighter and maybe easier to chuck about?

Comfort wise believe it or not I've found the sh's the best. I tripped to France on the sh300 and had no comfort issues. The ADV is great but protection isn't good.

For the sh350i I got the Honda screen as the brackets come with it. Barn door, but absolute coverage. Givi do a screen which goes onto the Honda brackets which I have and is great but not enough for the winter. So I cut down the Honda tall screen by 45mm and no I can see over it easily but the wind goes over my head so visor-up motorway speeds is possible.

It is very interesting just how good many scooters are regarding handling & roadholding these days. My GTS is very similar to a motorcycle in that respect too & not what some might expect!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

The SH is geared for better acceleration but lower top speed.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Mister Paul
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by Mister Paul »

Bingo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:46 am

Interesting thanks. How did you find the power delivery on them all? With the SH being the lightest does it feel the quickest?

I will go and try one at some point in the Spring probably but Im a little torn now as I had a good proper ride out on the Vstrom yesterday and I kind of remembered why I fell in love with it. Its a storming bike. Then I remembered what I hated about it when I came to clean it. :x

It might be a case of try the scooters and keep the Strom as long as possible until it gets too much. Ideally I would like three bikes in my garage. The Vstrom, a big Honda Scoot and the little Vision 110 I also have. No room and the chancellor wont like it.
I didn't really notice much of a difference with power, but I had a different bike/scoot between. The biggie for me was the handling of the sh. Roundabouts in the dry are great fun.

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul »

Data wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:34 am

It is very interesting just how good many scooters are regarding handling & roadholding these days. My GTS is very similar to a motorcycle in that respect too & not what some might expect!
Funnily enough I had a GTS between the ADV and the sh350. It was the best looking of the lot, but not as sharp as the others. What spoiled the GTS for me though was the build quality, and that my petite wife couldn't get comfortable on the back.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yeah, I wonder what year your GTS was Mister Paul? Late 2014 onwards bikes with the better suspension & fettled engines are pretty darn good for build & finish. Not anywhere near as powerful as the Honda's though. But you may have had a Friday afternoon job!

defscoot
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Post by defscoot »

I'm in a similar situation to you Bingo. I have had bikes for a few years now but starting to want to go back to a scooter. I also live in the Yorkshire Dales and that is where I spend most of my time on two wheels.

I had a Burgman 650 once and the suspension was not good on the bumpy roads we have here. I also had a Vespa 300 GTS which was surprisingly plush. You would expect the little wheels to be a problem but they weren't.

I am tempted by a Forza or Burgman 400 but my fear is that the ride quality would not match the Vespa.

For test rides, I have found North West Honda over in Blackpool to be the best, they often have a few demos and will let you take out second hand bikes.

Mister Paul

Post by Mister Paul »

Data wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:17 pm Yeah, I wonder what year your GTS was Mister Paul? Late 2014 onwards bikes with the better suspension & fettled engines are pretty darn good for build & finish. Not anywhere near as powerful as the Honda's though. But you may have had a Friday afternoon job!
It was a 56 plate. The engine was great, it was just the plastics and some other bits and pieces. The seat release cable to the glove box was siezed, and things were starting to get brittle. Paint finish wasn't great either.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Oh shame. Those older bikes are quite different to the 2014 onwards bikes & had less power in the low & midrange too & no electrophoretic primer. Just good old grey primer. If anyone tries the later bikes including the very new ones they are so different & razor sharp with their performance. Had mine for over 7yrs now. No issues but not the best probably for constant two up use without the footpeg extenders.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

defscoot wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:43 pm I'm in a similar situation to you Bingo. I have had bikes for a few years now but starting to want to go back to a scooter. I also live in the Yorkshire Dales and that is where I spend most of my time on two wheels.

I had a Burgman 650 once and the suspension was not good on the bumpy roads we have here. I also had a Vespa 300 GTS which was surprisingly plush. You would expect the little wheels to be a problem but they weren't.
Yeah....ditto! The big Burger was hopeless on bad roads! No-one believes you though! Which is why I swapped mine for another Tmax which does handle rougher roads well. I have had problems with some 'swinging engine' style scoots in the sticks. I'm led to believe that the ADV350's high quality suspension will work well, though you never really know until you try it. There are many other Adventure-style scoots around which may or may not do the same job.