Burgman 650 sticky rear brakes on cold mornings

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Re: Burgman 650 sticky rear brakes on cold mornings

Post by halfabusa »

just got it back from the shop after coughing up £95. They said it was the front brakes not the rears :shock:

I'll see if they were right or not tomorrow morning... They said they changed the fluid and a pin. Said it was corroded... Also charged me for piston seal kit? Dunno what that is but i wasn't expecting to pay this much tbh... they charged me 1,5 hours for the work. Surely it shouldn't take that long!

It might be due to investigation taking longer though, cause in the morning i left it to them saying it was the rear brake, so they might have started from the rear first...
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

Normsthename
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield Classic 350

Post by Normsthename »

1.5 hours to change brake fluid, piston seal and clean up the pins etc is pretty good! :D

Andy
2024 Royal Enfield Classic 350
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
2016 Microcar MGO3 - 4 wheeled Scooter with a roof :D

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

oh is it! :) fair enough... i guess i'm used to them charging me 15 mins labour for pad changes 8-)
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

Was that chas-bikes in s.e.1 thought they was ok?
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

they are alright, but the quality of the work they do is touch and go to my experience. It's just that they are very close to my work and therefore convenient to use. Also their prices are low, so that's why i'm still with them.
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

halfabusa wrote:just got it back from the shop after coughing up £95. They said it was the front brakes not the rears :shock:

I'll see if they were right or not tomorrow morning... They said they changed the fluid and a pin. Said it was corroded... Also charged me for piston seal kit? Dunno what that is but i wasn't expecting to pay this much tbh... they charged me 1,5 hours for the work. Surely it shouldn't take that long!

It might be due to investigation taking longer though, cause in the morning i left it to them saying it was the rear brake, so they might have started from the rear first...

Provided they did change them the piston seal kit means they've done a thorough job, but did they change pads as well or also clean up/check the rear too. If not then I'd also be miffed at £95, but guessing they've done something else too?
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

halfabusa
Benefactor

Post by halfabusa »

They only did the front brakes as far as i know. They checked the pads but didn't change them. They said they changed the fluid (for the front) when doing the job. Also the pin was changed due to being corroded. That's about it i guess.

I love the burgman for all it's merits but the brakes needing change very frequently. It's also due to commuting into town every day. All the weight and no gear braking results in very frequent pad changes.
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

pikey

Post by pikey »

I think if you checked and cleaned and greased pistons/pins ect every 3 months keep set of pads at home.It would save you paying bike shop.Depends how long it takes you to earn 95 quid and what tine you have really as to wether its worth doing it yourself.Julian