Juddering

be1fran
Current Ride: Specialized Allez Road bike

Juddering

Post by be1fran »

there seem to be a fair number of 400's having trouble with juddering or is there?
My 400 has now done 4300 miles with no signs of it at all so I am wondering if it is only the case of only a few out of 1000's ? I'm beginning to be paranoid about this now. Have I a case to worry ?
bien le bonjour a vous tous!
I think therefore I am Descartes
Previous Scoot: Honda Pantheon FES 125
Burgman AN 400

paula4u
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 400AN K8

Re: Juddering

Post by paula4u »

I have a little bit of juddering but the bike goes like a bomb so going to see 6000 miles soon on it. I'll probably get a little extra service put in for them to check it out before warranty runs out.

ginge
Benefactor
Current Ride: Gilera GP800

Post by ginge »

Is it the wheel bearings?
Ginge 8-)
ENGLAND LOVE IT OR LEAVE

GP800. 0 to Oh my God! Real quick.
[http://www.flickr.com/photos/gingerscoot/

Alexis050891
Current Ride: 1999 Burgman 400

Post by Alexis050891 »

What exactly is juddering :? does it feel as though you have pre-ignition knock when you give it high throttle from a standing start?

burgerman
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda FJS600 Silverwing

Post by burgerman »

Alexis050891 wrote:What exactly is juddering :?
It's like a knee-trembler, but on your scoot!! :lol: :lol:
As I grow older, my mind doesn't just wander......sometimes it buggers off completely!!
You can't avoid growing up, but you can be immature all your life!

pikey

Post by pikey »

Its just the clutch grabbing and slipping and it buildsup thro the bike.Cold engine doesnt help matters or build up of clutch dust.I just wonder if you tipped scoot to the right and give final drive a tap if dust would fall out.Thats assumming clutch same as on the old burger.Its a bit like drum brakes you get dust build up and.as they wear theres a ridge which traps the dust.Julian

greeme

Burgman AN 400 K8

Post by greeme »

Hello,

If anyone has a Suzuki Burgman AN 400 K8 or K9 and has been experiencing shuddering and squealing noises at low speeds, get it off to your dealer or service engineer ASAP.

The problem is likely to be the clutch - Suzuki put a different clutch in the 2008/2009 models which is too light for the rollers and causes them to disengage with the belt. It also causes the clutch to overheat because there is a new cover with no air intake port.

Suzuki said my bike was OK to ride but I had the unfortunate experience of the problem escalating to the point that the belt came off and locked my back wheel. Good job I was going up hill slowly or I might have been thrown off.

Suzuki weren't looking to recall the K8's & K9's but they are aware of the problem.

Regards,

Greeme.

PS very interested in the idea of a Sym Maxi Scooter. I rode Sym Joyride 125's for years. Great bikes.

el burgman
Current Ride: can-am spyder RT

Post by el burgman »

Hi everyone.
Just phoned Suzuki customer services and spoke to Neil (0500 011959)
Neil has told me that a fix for the vibrating and juddering problem is being provided by the factory.
He said that the problem is being caused by a build up of friction dust.
On earlier models of the burgman 400 the frugal part had less legs on it.
The 08 and 09 model have more lets on it, thus leading to the clutch fork part to retain too much debris.
The 08 and 09 has a 5 fix prong fork on it and needs a 3 prong fork putting back on it to correct the problem.
So, contact your dealer and tell them this and tell them that suzuki customer services are aware of the problem and that they are to speak to suzuki tech team who will tell them what needs to be done.
I am taking my bike into my dealer on saturday and will keep you all informed as to what happens.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :D
Get it done before your warranty runs out, because it won't cost you a penny.
You could all phone Neil and speak to him on the above number if you want to confirm all this.

Deleted User 83

Post by Deleted User 83 »

mines being collected for service tomorrow (http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk free collection within 30 miles tee hee) they are gonna check the clutch for me, they have replaced 2 so far, so i guess they are aware of it :)

if anyone wants to know what the squeal we talk about is i recorded it in the summer, not the best quality as i just put my phone in the cubby and recorded from that, but you can hear it.
[video][/video]

mikbak
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2001 Silverwing FJS600

Post by mikbak »

el burgman wrote:He said that the problem is being caused by a build up of friction dust.
Spot on diagnosis Julian :D :D