Riding In A Group by Mr Angry

This is the place to organize a meet or tell us about a forthcoming show
Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Riding In A Group by Mr Angry

Post by Funkycowie »

GOOD PRACTICE FOR RIDING IN GROUPS:
1. The standard formation, under good conditions of road, traffic, and weather, will be a double row, staggered, in one traffic lane.[in urban areas, not necessarily on country runs] The interval will be no less than one second between staggered riders, which will automatically make a 2 second interval between you and the bike directly in front of you. This formation allows each rider sufficient safety space, and discourages other vehicles from cutting into the group.

2. The riders should also realize that by creating a large gap in the formation, cars will try to move in and split the formation, causing a dangerous situation. It also causes problems for the Ride Leader when there are large gaps in the formation or can’t see the Sweeper (usually the 2nd person in charge of the ride who rides at the end of the group).

3. The rider following the Ride Leader should ride on the LEFT position during a staggered formation, this will allow the Leader to ride in the middle or the Right position under most circumstances.

4. The more experienced rider should ride on the right. Novice and inexperienced riders should ride in the middle of the group until they are comfortable riding in a group.

5. Rider should follow the instructions of the Ride Leader in all situations, unless those instructions place the rider or any other individual in an unsafe situation. If everyone does the same thing, then strength is in numbers and so will be safety.

6. Never pull up along side of someone unless you need them to pull over, because people may suddenly swerve around a hazard without seeing you. If you can’t see their eyes in their mirror, they can’t see you.

7. No over taking when riding in a group, this will upset the formation and lead to rubber banding or elongating the formation. Not necessary on country runs. If the bloke in front of you wants to dawdle, leave him to the Sweeper, feel free to ride within your own limits & within the bounds of common sense & road rules.

8. The person riding behind you is your responsibility, don’t lose them. It is important to keep up with the group, otherwise the whole group will slow down or rubber band. [If the rider behind you is falling back, you fall back, eventually the Leader will get the message too]

9. The Leader will establish a riding speed that will ensure the group is in formation and together, so it is every rider’s responsibility to assist the leader and keep a steady pace, ride formation and look out for the rider behind you.

10. On country runs where there may be considerable distance between riders, employ the Point-man principle. If the Leader indicates to the rider immediately behind him/her at a corner (by pointing), that person pulls over on the corner, turns on the relevant indicator & indicates to ALL following riders the direction of travel. The Point man re-joins the ride immediately before the Sweeper, who will have slowed/stopped to allow him to re-join. If YOU don't want to be a Point-man, don't ride immediately behind the Leader.

Previously posted on the original MM board by Mr Angry
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

cobbybrook

Re: Riding In A Group by Mr Angry

Post by cobbybrook »

Thank you for posting that! :D

Funkycowie
Admin

Post by Funkycowie »

Woah you shouldn't thank me, you should thank Mr Angry ;)

a K for Mr Angry from me
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Mr Angry

Post by Mr Angry »

Thank you kind sir. thumb.gif

naomi
Current Ride: majesty 400

Post by naomi »

i remember going for my first rideout and i was so bad cos i didnt know the rules :oops: good write up

Ginger Phil
Benefactor

Post by Ginger Phil »

There are no rules! :twisted:

Funkycowie
Admin

Post by Funkycowie »

especially not today
ImageImageImageImage

GPDriver
Current Ride: Yamaha Tmax 530

Post by GPDriver »

Thanx!!

To ride in a group is always a little bit dangerous.

Everyone has to pay attention and look at the other people.

Gundolf
http://www.gpdriver.de

I love Northern Soul

creamcrackered
Current Ride: Blue Swing 600 ABS with To

Post by creamcrackered »

imo posting these ride out guidlines was a very good idea, i had no clue of any accepted practice's and could easily cause confusion to new/'L' riders and arguments with those who do know them, by me unwittingly countermanding them.

it don't mean every ride out has to use them the group chooses to or not to, but i'd think wise when you have in excess of bikes machines taking part.

question i have is, if asked to act as a 'pointer rider', everyone else now passes you and then you rejoin in front of the 'sweeper' who i'd guess is marked up in some way with Hi Viz.,

1) so do you stay back until the next tour/fuel stop, or can you move back up the convoy to where i was? which to me makes sense doing so when safe as the ride out has a rider preparred to do this back behind the ride leader.

2) if not, the bike that was behind you is now behind the tour leader, so likely to become the next pointer (if needed), so needs to be made clear anyone not wanting to be a pointer, better take a position well back in the convoy not bomb it out the car park to be 1st out after riders assemble :mrgreen: .

i'm really asking the above as many will travel with others to a meet, so would likely want to stay with them as they already trust their skills or know they may have failings.

regs
CC
Honda Silver Wing 600 ABS Blue. Top Box, Phone/Nav Mount
Yamaha XVS1100A Custom Cruiser
Sinclair C5 Iconic Battery Cars (x 2)
(Everybody Laughs at seeing Them - But then Everybody Wants one of Them!).

mikbak
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2001 Silverwing FJS600

Post by mikbak »

second man drop off system wrote:10. On country runs where there may be considerable distance between riders, employ the Point-man principle. If the Leader indicates to the rider immediately behind him/her at a corner (by pointing), that person pulls over on the corner, turns on the relevant indicator & indicates to ALL following riders the direction of travel. The Point man re-joins the ride immediately before the Sweeper, who will have slowed/stopped to allow him to re-join. If YOU don't want to be a Point-man, don't ride immediately behind the Leader.
My video explains it 'a bit' - also a bit on the side .... you'll see
[video][/video]