cheap mana

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Earl
Benefactor
Current Ride: Mana 850

Re: cheap mana

Post by Earl »

MrGrumpy wrote:
Earl wrote:
Mr Grumpy you say the fact it goes into neutral everytime you stop would put you off, well your Tmax does it aswell,
Errm No... A standard CVT transmission doesn't have a neutral at all. When you stop, the clutch (normally centrifugal) disengages to stop you stalling, but re-engages automatically when you twist the throttle.
But thats what I've been saying, that the Clutch and variator DIS-ENGAGES, so you have no drive, if you put a geared bike into neutral what happends, OOOH you have NO drive!! If you re-read what I said you'll see I said 'It was LIKE putting a geared bike into neutral' No where does it say you select neutral. Any way this like all topics on here has strayed a bit lol.
It Is Better To Be Hated For What You Are, Than To Be loved For What You Are Not.

pikey

Post by pikey »

Most clutches drop out just above walking pace so dont get the neutral when cornering thing unless its in a carpark

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Earl wrote:But thats what I've been saying, that the Clutch and variator DIS-ENGAGES, so you have no drive
But what you are saying is entirely wrong.
When you close the throttle on a CVT equipped with a centrifugal clutch you get engine braking right up until such time as the speed drops to near walking pace at which point the centrifugal forces have dropped enough to allow the clutch to disengage.
In the case of Honda's (unbelievably complex) Dual Clutch Transmission, the clutches are moved by hydraulic circuits which are operated by solenoids and the gears are shifted by an electric motor.
The DCT clutch and gear movement are controlled by the ECU, the drive remains constant so long as the ECU senses that the wheels are turning.

Earl
Benefactor

Post by Earl »

gn2 wrote:
Earl wrote:But thats what I've been saying, that the Clutch and variator DIS-ENGAGES, so you have no drive
But what you are saying is entirely wrong.
When you close the throttle on a CVT equipped with a centrifugal clutch you get engine braking right up until such time as the speed drops to near walking pace at which point the centrifugal forces have dropped enough to allow the clutch to disengage.
Oh is that not what I said? I didn't mention at what speed did I? So I'm not entirely wrong am I?

And any way who gives a flying f**k, I have a Mana and I like it! icon_bleh.gif
It Is Better To Be Hated For What You Are, Than To Be loved For What You Are Not.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Earl wrote:Oh is that not what I said? I didn't mention at what speed did I? So I'm not entirely wrong am I?
Well actually...
Earl wrote:Plus I was always told to never shut the throttle off completely because you then dis-engage the variator and are basically free wheeling round the bend hence the slight lag when you come to exit, which is like knocking a geared bike into neutral in the bend then back into first as you come out of it
http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... 64#p161864

StevenM
Benefactor

Post by StevenM »

What a thread popcorn.gif popcorn.gif popcorn.gif popcorn.gif popcorn.gif

Only posted to show a cheap mana.

maxine500
Current Ride: T-Max Street Triple R

Post by maxine500 »

:-) where's my popcorn?

Ferrit
Current Ride: MP3 400ie

Post by Ferrit »

StevenM wrote:What a thread popcorn.gif popcorn.gif popcorn.gif popcorn.gif popcorn.gif

Only posted to show a cheap mana.
But this is Muppets.....we can turn a simple bike meeting into 30 pages :)
2013 Mp3 500sport
2007 MP3 400ie

A less than Civil Servant
Herts & Beds SERV

Earl
Benefactor

Post by Earl »

gn2 wrote:
Earl wrote:Oh is that not what I said? I didn't mention at what speed did I? So I'm not entirely wrong am I?
Well actually...
Earl wrote:Plus I was always told to never shut the throttle off completely because you then dis-engage the variator and are basically free wheeling round the bend hence the slight lag when you come to exit, which is like knocking a geared bike into neutral in the bend then back into first as you come out of it
http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... 64#p161864
And that shows where I said at a certain speed exactly? I'm suprised this post got to 6 or 7 pages without you jumping in PMSL! :kiss:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Earl wrote:
But thats what I've been saying, that the Clutch and variator DIS-ENGAGES, so you have no drive, if you put a geared bike into neutral what happends, OOOH you have NO drive!! If you re-read what I said you'll see I said 'It was LIKE putting a geared bike into neutral' No where does it say you select neutral. Any way this like all topics on here has strayed a bit lol.
OK...to delve into pedantry...yes, a CVT transmission clutch disengages (Not the CVT itself), but it of course reengages immediately the throttle opens. So - being pedantic - on a CVT you can never have no drive. It is a wonderfully arcane point to argue whether a CVT with clutch disengaged is or isn't in 'neutral', though the effect is the same. I'd also say that there is a difference on a manual bike/car between being in Neutral (ie no gear selected) and being at rest with the clutch pulled (but in gear). The CVT is closer to the latter situation than the former. At risk of exploring yet further heights of pedantry, I seem to recall (sorry, can't be bothered to re-check precise words) your post said that the DCT went into Neutral 'just like my TMax does'. I would argue that the TMax doesn't....